This coming biweekly (the last biweekly of the school year! Schedule your visit now!) is going to have a myriad of fun schedule changes and field trips, including:
Wednesday, May 15th: Half Day
Friday, May 17th: All Day History Workshop
- 8:30-9:30 Poem/Writing (Review Schedule for the day)
- 9:30-10:00 Activity: ““What do we know/what do we want to find out”
- 10:00-10:30 English Traditions: ASY Morris, Manx, and Sword performance
- 10:30-10:50 Break/Snack
- 10:50-11:50 Explore websites about Peskeomskut massacre, Eunice, William Turner, and more
- 11:50-12:30 Story Time: Finish reading The Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick!
- 12:30-1:30 Lunch/Recess
- 1:30-2:00 Visit Captain William Turner’s historical marker in Gill (discuss)
- 2:00-2:30 Visit Captain William Turner’s historical marker in Greenfield (discuss)
- 2:30-2:15 Hang out at the Green River Swimming and Recreation Area
- 3:30 Pick up at Four Winds
Saturday, May 18th: cool social justice events in our community!
“Join a circle of friends to commemorate the 343rd anniversary of the Great Falls Massacre on May 19, 1676. Native and non-Native people are invited to share. Rain or shine. Good weather, it will take place outdoors in the back of the center. Otherwise, in the Great Hall.”
This (Free!) event came up during our skills workshop conversation and students seemed interested in attending, plus we read about the Great Falls Massacre earlier this school year in Joseph Bruchac’s Winter People, and will be studying it again soon in The Mayflower and our history workshop on the 17th.
“Youth Rise Together is putting on a second Circus for Change fundraiser! All money raised will be given to the Pioneer Valley Workers Center, a local organization helping workers, especially immigrants.”
This ($0-$12, depending on age) event is just 10-15 minutes south of the Great Falls Discovery Center event and will feature performers including our very own Lydia Helmstadter and our awesome substitute teacher, Larkin Christie! There is also a performance the same day from 1-2:30, but of course that is at the same time as the Day of Remembrance.
May 16th, 21st, or 23rd
On one of our three science days this biweekly (the first to have nice weather of the 16th, 21st, or 23rd) we will be going to the Canalside Bike Trail in Turners Falls to set up a model/scale solar system.